Urgent: Stop the zebra mussel invasion

Featured

Urgent: Protect Lake Buel! You must scrub anything you put into Lake Buel before it enters the water. More info here.

Advertisements

LBD Prudential Committee Meeting

Posted on behalf of Pat Mielke

 

LBD Prudential Committee Meeting

Home of Kyle Pierce,  28 Seven Arts Road, Monterey

Monday September 18, 2017    7:00 P.M.

 

AGENDA:

Approve minutes from August 29, 2017

Lake Outlet Maintenance Update

Lake Harvester

Five Year Plan

Any other business

 

Next Meeting Schedule

 

Pat Mielke

LBD Clerk

Fireworks – 2017 !

Whether you view it as the end of summer, or the beginning of a spectacular Autumn in the Berkshires, the Lake Buel Labor Day weekend fireworks display will be this Saturday starting around 9:00 PM. In the event of rain, unlikely based on current weather forecasts but we all know New England weather’s predictability, the fireworks would shift to Sunday evening.

Enjoy!

2017 Annual Meeting: Lake Buel Restoration/Preservation District

MINUTES OF THE

ANNUAL LAKE BUEL DISTRICT

Classification Hearing

Fiscal Year 2018

MAY 27, 2017

Peter Hagen brought the meeting to order at 11:27am.

Present: Peter Hagen, Mark Amstead, Chris Hassett, Kyle Pierce. Wayne Dolby

Pat Mielke, Clerk.

A motion was made by Peter Hagen to retain one tax rate for the Lake Buel District for the FY2018. Motion was seconded and passed unanimously.

Continuing Business:

Virginia Hyde volunteered to post minutes and other business on the lakebuel.org website. Pat Mielke will email Ginny the information after it is approved by the Prudential Committee.

Ed Weisman has experience with grant writing and has offered to volunteer to look for what could be available. Pete Hagen will follow up with him.

Mark Amstead will check with the Town of Monterey Clerk to retrieve the old commitment books for Lake Buel that were stored in the clerk’s office. In addition, Mark Amstead and Chris Hassett will locate the records at Dave Logan’s house. The object is to get all the records together and stored in the rented locker.

Peter Hagen stated that he tried to contact Madeline. Schwartzman concerning her complaint of displaced docks near her property. Peter was able to contact the owners and have the docks removed.

The next meeting will be Tuesday, August 29th, 7pm at the home of Kyle Pierce, located at 28 Seven Arts Road, Monterey, MA.

Motion was made and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 11:50am.

Respectfully submitted,

Pat Mielke

LBD Clerk

 

 

MINUTES OF THE

ANNUAL LAKE BUEL RESTORATION/PRESERVATION DISTRICT MEETING

FISCAL YEAR JULY 1, 2017 TO JUNE 30, 2018

MAY 27, 2017

 

The meeting was brought to order by Peter Hagen at 10:05 A.M. with 61.62 % of the District area represented. In attendance: Prudential Committee members Peter Hagen, Mark Amstead, Kyle Pierce, Chris Hassett, Wayne Dolby and Peter Brewer, District Counsel. In addition, Peter Hagen introduced Mike Ordyna, the harvester operator for Lake Buel District, to speak prior to the warrant vote, about concerns with weed harvesting.

Mike opened by explaining his job as operator of the harvesting machine for the Lake Buel District. He stated that the lake is in great shape, with Milfoil being the primary weed in the lake.

Emphasis was given to safety of operation of the machinery while on the lake, Mike stressed the need to stay clear of the machinery, giving him plenty of room to maneuver. Mike starts at 5:45 am and is off the lake around 1:30pm. It takes 3-1/2 weeks to complete 1 full revolution on the lake. There is no set schedule as weather determines the area to cuts weeds.  If a property owner has an issue, it is best to signal from the land or if on the lake, stay back 20ft from machinery to get his attention.

Pete Hagen asked if there were any areas that the machinery cannot reach. Mike stated that the area across from Tin Can Point, and area of the beaver dam is too shallow for the machine. There are areas that are preserved for the fishermen.

In addition, Pete asked about how best the docks should be floated for minimal issues. Mike stated that anchoring the docks by rope is fine, other material could break the harvester cutters if it comes into contact. Mike reminded everyone that a center floatation works well, and to remember to pull up ladders and big tubes when not in use.

The machinery will be delivered and put in the lake on Tuesday, May 30, 2017. Mike ended his presentation at 10:20am accepting many thanks for a job well done.

Regular Annual District Meeting Resumed

 

Article 1.  To bring in their nominations and votes for the election of District Moderator for a term of one year.   Voted – Unanimous, Peter Hagen

Article 2.   To see if the District will vote to accept the minutes of the previous Annual Meeting held on May 28, 2016.   Voted – Unanimous

Article 3.   To see if the District will vote to accept the Report of the Treasurer for the Fiscal Year 2017 (July 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017) YTD.  Pat Mielke reviewed the Treasurer and Tax Collector reports. Pat announced that the district will be aggressively collecting the delinquent taxes owed.  Voted – Unanimous

Article 4.   To bring in their nominations for the election of the following officers:

Voted – Unanimous

Prudential Committee Nominees

a. District Clerk for one year                                          Pat Mielke

b. District Treasurer for one year                                            Pat Mielke

c. Prudential Committee: one member for three years              Wayne Dolby

                                                                                                             (incumbent)

Article 5.  Motion to see if the District will vote to raise and appropriate the sum of $ 82, 852.00

for the purposes constituting proposed expenses of the District for Fiscal Year 2017.

Line item #5006 Legal Counsel, was held for explanation of why a retainer was needed. Peter Brewer stated that the District is best served by having counsel present at the meetings and for legal advice when needed. # 5012 & 5013 Weed Harvesting Operations and Harvesting Contracted were held for an explanation of the budgeted amounts. Chris Hassett explained that the total budget for the 2 items had not changed, just the distribution. #5014 Water Outlet Maintenance was held for questions. Pete Hagen explained the regulations governing the trapping of beavers, maintaining the dam and the costs associated with it need to be budgeted. Mark Amstead stated that there will be work on the dam and materials purchased to maintain its integrity. All work is done to state specifications. #5026 Lake Recreational Activity was held for discussion about the expense. This item is used to provide fireworks on Labor Day weekend for the owners. The $8500 dollars was built into the budget at the request of land owners who enjoy the fireworks and understand that paying for the show on a voluntary basis did not generate enough funds for the fireworks to be held.

 

Motion was made and seconded to approve the 2018 operating budget in the amount of $82,852.

Voted, Unanimous

Article 6.  To see if the District will vote to authorize the Prudential Committee to borrow such sums as may be necessary in anticipation of tax receipts for the Fiscal Year 2018, and to issue District Notes therefore as provided under the Special Act. Voted – Unanimous

Article 7.  To see if the District will vote to authorize the Prudential Committee to accept gifts from proprietors or any other entity for the benefit of the District.  Voted – Unanimous

Article 8.   To see if the District will vote to establish a Stabilization Equipment Replacement/Repair Fund per the Department of Revenue regulations. Voted – Unanimous

All in Favor of establishing new Stabilization Fund(70 yes 0 no).

Article 9.    To see if the District will vote to transfer $40,000 (forty thousand dollars) from Free Cash to fund the Stabilization Equipment Replacement/Repair Account. Voted – Unanimous

 

 Article 10.  To transact any other business that may come before the meeting.

The Prudential Committee was asked if the Lake Buel district business could be posted to the web site Lakebuel.org. Virginia Hyde offered to upload the information to the site. A discussion followed with the request that the committee be required to post the meetings and the minutes on the website. The following motion was made and seconded:

Move that the Prudential Committee post all meetings and minutes on the Lakebuel.org web site.

Voted, Unanimous

**Jim Caron announced the passing of the following property owners;

Stanley Ross, Frank Ashen, Bill Kiron, Dr Mark Mishkin.

**The Committee asked about the ability to digitize the district records. At this time we have no ability to do so. All that can be saved on the computer is being done at this time.

Motion to adjourn the Fiscal Year 2018 Annual District Meeting at 11:10am. Unanimous

Respectfully submitted,

Pat Mielke, LBD Clerk