Lake Buel District Meeting Minutes May 9, 2018

Lake Buel District Board Meeting

May 9, 2018

28 Seven Arts Road, Monterey

Members present:  Kyle Pierce, Chris Hassett, Mark Amstead.  Peter Hagen, Chairman by phone.

Meeting was called to order by Chairman, Mr. Hagen at 7PM.

A motion was made, seconded and so voted to approve previous minutes.

Mr. Hagen stated that Ms. Kathy Chretien has graciously offered to take the minutes of the meeting.

The board reviewed the financial report and noticed that the outlet maintenance of over budget by $621.00 and discussed the finance for the harvesting.  It seems to cost $2400.00 a week for cutting and the board believes that the there is enough in the budget to get through this fiscal budget.  After review a motion was made, seconded and so voted to accept the treasurer/collector report.

The board discussed presenting Ms. Mielke with a gift and card for all of her years of service.  It was decided that the members would purchase a gift card to the Old Mill in the amount of $200.00.  Mr. Amstead will contact Ms. Mielke to make sure the church will be booked and available for the annual meeting, and to make sure there will be refreshments provided.

It was noted that 20 proxies have be received as of today.  Mr. Hassett will check with the camps, and a few others to make sure they get their proxies in.  Mr. Hagen will contact Attorney Brewer to confirm his attendances at the annual meeting and to see if what covers the budget amount is it just by the hour or just a retainer.

Mr. Hagen mentioned that not there has not been much response on the email list request that was put on the cover letter of warrant.  It was decide the same statement will go out with the tax bills.

The board discussed the five year plan for the dam.  Mr. Amstead has been in contact with Mr. Chris Tyron regarding submitted a plan/proposal.  It was discussed that in the past the board has received a quote from White Engineering, & Stockman and Associates.  The board will look into getting quotes from others.

The board reviewed a letter of support for funding for Lake Garfield which will be sent to Massachusetts Department of Environmental Conservation.  Mrs. Pierce mentioned that Mr. Dennis Lynch does grant writing and has assisted with drafting this letter.  Mr. Hassett has no issues with endorsing the letter and he feels that it would not be a good idea not to endorse the letter; it a matter of being a good neighbor.  After the review of the letter a motion was made, seconded and so voted to approve Mrs. Pierce signing the letter of behalf of the board.

Mrs. Pierce mentioned that she has been asked to join a committee – Municipal Vulnerability preparedness in relation to how climate control is changing and there will be a workshop on Saturday, May 19th from 9AM – 3PM run by Berkshire Regional Planning Commission.  Mrs. Pierce also mentioned that they would like 30 to 40 people to attend the workshop.  Mrs. Pierce will report back to the board after the workshop.

The board noted that the special permit that was submitted to the New Marlborough Board of Selectmen on commercial greenhouses (cannabis) was withdrawn without prejudice.

Beaver activity is already quite busy, Mr. Hagen stated, he has already submitted a beaver/trapping permit with the New Marlborough Board of Health. Mr. Eric Ives was already at the lake and noted that there more beavers and the lake level is up.  It seems like it will be a busy season coming up.  It was noted that the outlet is an issue and the inlet will probable need some attention.  Mr. Hagen mentioned that he had received a call from a property owner regarding this issue.  Mr. Hagen had meet with the property owner and area is in question is the property owner own responsibility to obtaining a permit.  Mr. Hagen also told the owner he would go with her to assist obtaining a beaver/trapping permit in Monterey, but he has not heard back from her.

The board discussed if they should increase the outlet maintenance at the annual meeting.

The board discussed having a forensic audit on the books, since it is a proper procedure thing to do when a change of Tax Collector/Treasurer.  Mr. Hagen thinks the cost might be $5,000.00 to $6,000.00.  The board discussed how to pay for the audit and will bring this item up at the annual meeting.  Mr. Hagen will look into this.

Mr. Ives has requested a copy of the Notice of Intent that has been filed with the New Marlborough Conservation Commission.  Mr. Amstead will forward a copy to him.

New Business:

Mr. Hassett & Mr. Amstead went to Mr. Dave Logan’s and took three boxes of records.  The board mentioned that they have a storage unit for the District records.  Mrs. Pierce will check to see if there are any records at the Monterey Town Hall.

Mr. Mike Ordyna has been in contact with Mr. Amstead about the Candee’s property.  Mr. Ordyna is seeking permission get some work done with the trees/brushes.  Access is needed for the canal.  It was noted that someone will contact the Obrien crew to do some work in this area.  The board discussed this issue will be and has decided that since it’s part of the lake and they pay Lake Buel taxes then it something needs to be done.  This issue will be brought up at the annual meeting under new business.

Mrs. Pierce mentioned about attending LAPA west – which talked about dredging and how you could do certain amount every year without a permit.  It was noted to check the Town of Monterey website under the Board of Selectmen for a click for 604B proposal.  It was also mentioned that the State has been checking the catch basin and the cost of each one is $150,000.00.

Mr. Hagen will contact Mr. Ed Weismann regarding seeking grants for dredging.

A motion was made, seconded and so voted to adjourn at 8:24 PM.

Next meeting is scheduled May 26th h at Monterey Church.

One thought on “Lake Buel District Meeting Minutes May 9, 2018

Leave a Reply - (Civility required :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s