Better internet is coming, but Monterey residents need to act

Internet availability, or the lack thereof, has been a frequent topic of discussion and in many cases, angst, over the last decade.  Even with the AT&T cell tower offering interim relief, those of us who use it for data have seen a pronounced degradation over holiday weekends due peak demand.  Fortunately, there is progress being made.  For homes in New Marlborough, the town has entered into an agreement with Spectrum and work is underway. The targeted go live date is in the first half of 2021.

For residents on the other side of the lake in Monterey, the log jam between the State and Fiber Connect (FC) has been broken and the State will release about $1.1 million to FC to wire 96% of the town with fiber optic lines PROVIDED 51% of the Monterey households commit now.  Without that commitment, the State will not release the funding and FC will not move forward.  Furthermore, since FC has already wired a significant portion of Monterey, no other company will likely enter the market.

As of July, 2020 FC had received commitments from 39%.  If you are interested in true broadband and have not contacted FC about your interest, you may want to do so now. In addition, FC is offering some very attractive installation discounts if you commit now.

Even if you don’t see the need personally for broadband access,  it is fair to say your property values will be adversely impacted by the lack of broadband availability.

Notice from New Marlborough Fire Dept 07/13/2020 (copy) original form in media

New Marlborough Volunteer Fire Department

July 13, 2020

To: The Lake Buel Association

The New Marlborough Volunteer Fire Department is reporting that the conditions of privately owned dirt roads around Lake Buel present obstacles to providing emergency response. The New Marlborough Volunteer Fire Department will continue to respond to every emergency reported to the 911 Emergency Dispatch Center, however addressing the following obstacles would improve our ability to provide effective response.

The very many low hanging tree branches present an obstacle to quickly reaching the scene of your emergency. We suggest that a professional tree company be hired as this appears to be beyond the scope of what each homeowner can reasonably address.  While we recognize this would involve an expense, it would provide additional protection for your properties and possibly save lives.  There are two professional tree companies located in New Marlborough and many others in our area.

Another obstacle the Fire Department requests you consider is that the conditions of these roads present obstacles for fire trucks to navigate. We certainly are not suggesting anything that would alter the rural character of your roads, and can offer to meet with your representatives for a walking tour to discuss what could reasonably and unobtrusively be done.

Another issue is that not all homes currently have a 911 sign which allows us to immediately confirm the address of their emergency. This is easy to implement, by having each homeowner order an approved sign from the Town’s 911 Coordinator Dave Herrick, by calling 413 229-8795 or 413 229-2663, the cost is a modest $20.00. Please be aware that Town bylaw Requires that every home have this sign or a suitable equivalent.

Our last request is that all homes which have an alarm system which automatically calls 9“ issue a KnoxBox to allow access when no one is home, note that this is also required by Town bylaw. These are ordered through

Certainly feel free to contact me with questions on any of the above, my cell phone is 413 644-5324 or by email at




Bob Dvorchik, Assistant Chief

New Marlborough Volunteer Fire Department



Annual Lake Buel District Board Meeting 05/23/2020

FISCAL YEAR JULY 1, 2020 TO JUNE 30, 2021
MAY 23 2020

The meeting was brought to order by Peter Hagen at 10:00 AM with 152% of the District area represented. In attendance: Prudential Committee members Peter Hagen, Mark Amstead, Kyle Pierce, Chris Hassett, and Wayne Dolby. Mr. Hagen thanked few residents for attending. Mr. Hagen mentioned that he was asked from the New Marlborough Fire Department to remind the residents that the access to areas in the District has poor conditions, so please beware of them. A voter also mentioned that there has been issues with plowing in the winter and residents couldn’t access their property, which is a hazard.

Article 1. To bring in their nominations and votes for the election of District Moderator for a term of one year. Voted – Unanimous, Peter Hagen

Article 2. To see if the District will vote to accept the minutes of the previous Annual Meeting held on May 25, 2019. Voted – Unanimous

Article 3. To see if the District will vote to accept the Report of the Treasurer for the Fiscal Year 2019 (July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020) YTD. Voted – Unanimous

Article 4. To bring in their nominations for the election of the following officers:

Prudential Committee Nominees
a. District Clerk for one year Katherine Chretien
b. District Treasurer for one year Katherine Chretien
c. Prudential Committee: one member for three years Wayne Dolby

Voted – Unanimous

Article 5. Motion to see if the District will vote to raise and appropriate the sum of $ 93,156.14
for the purposes constituting proposed expenses of the District for Fiscal Year 2021.
Mr. Hagen mentioned that the proposed budget is just an increase of $833.34 from last year budget, since the board decided to keep the budget down. A voter questioned is the harvester going to come closer to their property. Mr. Hagen stated that the machine operator is trying his best and if there is any problems to contact one of the board members. The board knows that weeds are an issue by resident’s docks. After the brief discussion a motion was made, seconded and so voted to unanimously approve the FY21 budget as presented.

Article 6. To see if the District will vote to authorize the Prudential Committee to borrow such sums as may be necessary in anticipation of tax receipts for the Fiscal Year 2021, and to issue District Notes therefore as provided under the Special Act. Voted – Unanimous

Article 7. To see if the District will vote to authorize the Prudential Committee to accept gifts from proprietors or any other entity for the benefit of the District. Voted – Unanimous

Article 8. To see if the District will vote to transfer from Free Cash $3,000.00 (three thousand dollars) to the Equipment Replacement/Repair Stabilization Account. Voted – Unanimous

Article 9. To transact any other business that may come before the meeting.
A voter asked on what the status is on the beavers. Mr. Hagen mentioned that the beavers are an ongoing issue and they have a person working on the beavers continually.

Motion to adjourn the Fiscal Year 2020 Annual District Meeting at 10:14AM. Unanimous

Respectfully submitted,

Kathy Chretien, LBD

Lake Buel District Board Meeting 05/14/2020

Lake Buel District Board Meeting
May 14, 2020
Outside of 28 Seven Arts Road, Monterey

Members present: Peter Hagen, Kyle Pierce, Chris Hassett, Mark Amstead, & Wayne Dolby.
Meeting was called to order by Chairman, Mr. Hagen at 6PM.
A motion was made, seconded and so voted to approve January 2nd minutes as prepared.
Old Business:
Mr. Amstead mentioned that the Harvester is ready to go and if receive permission from the Board it will launch on Monday, May 18th. Mr. Amstead said that Mr. Ziegler looked into two companies for parts for the harvester. Alpha Boats couldn’t get the parts. After the brief discussion a motion was made, seconded and so voted to have the Harvester begin work on the 18th of May.
Mr. Amstead also mentioned that the wooden boards have been inserted in the dam but in additional repairs will be needed.
Mr. Amstead will explore some more about the dam clean out with O’Brien.
Mr. Hagen mentioned that he has called 90% of the residents in Gibson Grove regarding sending in their proxies in which most of them done. Mr. Hagen also said some of the residents didn’t receive their warrant packages and some of the residents didn’t know what he was speaking about.
New Business:

Mrs. Pierce mentioned that Mr. Hassett sent out an email on guidelines for boating and she is willingly to make copies if any residents need the guidelines.

A motion was made, seconded and so voted to send a donation to the Monterey Fire Department for use of the pavilion for the Annual Meeting.

Next meeting is scheduled for May 23, 2020 at the Monterey Fire Department for the Annual Meeting.

A motion was made, seconded and so voted to adjourn at 7:05PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Kathy Chretien, District Clerk